Friday, January 9, 2015

Experiments with Watercolor - Vivian Olsen

Spontaneous Watercolor Surprises


What's in a wash? Be creative and wild, splash some watercolor across a paper 
and look carefully to find what is hiding there. Just an abstract design? Turn it 
around and see the vertical images and then upside down. Wow! Look hard - 
Do you see what I saw?



Here's what I saw hiding in the murky mists - I've taped a cutout image of a 
photograph of him that looks like a close cousin to that Hulk shape in the smeary 
wash. Soon I will paint that Bison into the painting as I have painted the animal 
into the design below.







 
 This abstract below was painted in a vertical format and looked like a waterfall at first. But I kept turning it and thinking about what critter might creep down to the water? and snow? and trees? 
Things that I saw in all those fuzzy images? 
                                           Look and imagine - what do you see?


No, I didn't find horses lurking in the snowy mist, but the space for something 
was there, waiting for it, or them, to come and drink.
               Fun? Huh? 


Try it. Let your inhibitions disappear and fly with the washes. Splash! sprinkle, spray, infuse colors and water, pour, spatter, tip and turn, and imagine.
                 V C Olsen

No comments:

Post a Comment